Connecting Google Authenticator with the FundraisingBox
The Google Authenticator extension is a two-factor authentication app that provides an extra layer of security for your FundraisingBox account. This means that in addition to your login data (e-mail address + password) you must also enter an automatically generated one-time password.
Stolen login data will therefore be completely useless without a one-time password. But you should keep using strong passwords, of course.
What do you need?
- A smart phone with the Google Authenticator app
- QR code scanner app (OPTIONAL)
You don't need to have a Google account. Generating single-use passwords works without transferring data.
Enable the Google Authenticator extension
under Settings > Extensions > Security. Click “Establish connection.” Check the box and click “Link now.”
If you don't see the extensions, it is possible that you don't have the required user privileges. In this case, please contact the FundraisingBox account owner.
All users have the ability to use Google Authenticator on their profile. To activate the respective user, go to Settings > My Profile and select the Checkbox “Protect account with Google Authenticator” (1).
You will see a QR code (2) and a hidden code (3),as well as a field for the Google Authenticator code (4).
Please leave the browser window open and get your smartphone. Install the Google Authenticator app on your smartphone. It can be found in the respective app store, viz. Google Play (Android) or App Store (Apple), by searching for “Google Authenticator”.
Important: There are two ways to link the Google Authenticator app to your FundraisingBox:
- With a QR code: A barcode scanner app of your choice must be installed on your phone before linking the app. This allows you to avoid the annoying and error-prone typing of a hidden code, and all settings are automatically applied.
- With a hidden code: All settings and the hidden code must be entered manually.
After installing the Google Authenticator app and an optional barcode scanner app, you will need to set up Google Authenticator as described below.
- If you are using the Authenticator for the first time, select “Start device”. If you want to add a new account, select “Set up account” on the app menu.
- Select “Scan barcode”. Now align the smartphone camera with the QR code (2) on the computer screen. Once the scanning process is completed, the one-time password for your FundraisingBox account is already set up, and you will now see a one-time password (OTP) that changes every 30 seconds.
- If you enter the code manually, select “Enter code” and enter FundraisingBox in the field that says “Enter account name”. You will then need to enter the hidden code (3) from your FundraisingBox in the “Enter code” field. Set the code type as "Time-Based" and then select “Add”.
- Enter the current confirmation code in the respective field of the Google Authenticator Code (4) and then click “Save” at the bottom.
- Tap the plus sign (+).
- Tap on "Time-Based".
- Select “Scan Barcode”. Now align the smartphone camera with the QR code (2) on the computer screen. Once the scanning process is completed, the one-time password for your FundraisingBox account is already set up, and you will now see a one-time password (OTP) that changes every 30 seconds.
- If you enter the code manually, select “Enter code” and enter your FundraisingBox login address in the “Enter account name” field. Then, in the “Enter code” field, enter the hidden code (3) from your FundraisingBox and click “Done”.
- Enter the current code in the appropriate field under Google Authenticator Code (4) and click “Save” at the bottom.
Make sure that the time settings on your smartphone are correct and synchronized with the network operator. The most common problem when using a two-factor authentication arises from the smartphone's time settings not being accurately set.
Google Authenticator app deletion or loss of Smartphone
Important: When setting up the two-factor authentication, you should write down the hidden code (3)so you can retrieve it if you lose the smartphone or delete the app. Please note that you will no longer have access to your account if the app is deleted or the smartphone is lost.
As a FundraisingBox user, you will need to contact the FundraisingBox account owner should any of these occur. The account owner will be able to edit the access settings and disable the Google Authenticator extension in the profile.
If, as a FundraisingBox account owner, you have deleted the Google Authenticator app or lost your phone, please contact our support team via our contact form .